Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Education - Everything you need to know about the world of education.

Education - Everything you need to know about the world of education.














The illusion of ever-lower college acceptance rates

It may just be me, but I found myself getting increasingly annoyed as I read my colleague Jenna Johnson’s blogpost detailing the latest admissions statistics for some of the nation’s most elite schools.
For example, Harvard University’s 7 percent overall rate of admissions last year was apparently not low enough. This year, it dropped to 6.9 percent. Harvard received more than 30,000 applications this year, a 5 percent increase from last year, and accepted 2,110 students.
“That’s 28,000 broken hearts,” one admissions staff member said as several passed trays stuffed with rejections into a car to be mailed,according to the student newspaper the Harvard Crimson.
Continue reading this post »



Ed Buzz: The Nation