Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 8, 2010

R.I. Teacher Drama May Be Nearing Conclusion - Teacher Beat - Education Week

R.I. Teacher Drama May Be Nearing Conclusion - Teacher Beat - Education Week

It looks like the teachers and administrators in Central Falls, R.I., are back at the bargaining table to work out a plan for transforming the school.
Jay Mathews at the WaPo apologizes for missing the 50 percent teacher-rehiring clause in a recent column. But he's not the only one who made this error; it's been missing in a lot of the national coverage. It took me three posts on the R.I. situation before I brought it up, an omission I made out of the (incorrect) assumption that it was common knowledge that staff-reconstitution policies, including these federal school improvement grants, generally let teachers reapply for their jobs.
The New York Timeswalks through some more reaction, complete with some tough-talk from AFT's Randi Weingarten and NEA's Dennis Van Roekel. The story