Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 13, 2009

The Answer Sheet - Blasingame: When ‘Twilight’ author Stephenie Meyer visited my class; Why Edward Cullen & other vampires attract readers; What the next big thing is in adolescent lit


The Answer Sheet - Blasingame: When ‘Twilight’ author Stephenie Meyer visited my class; Why Edward Cullen & other vampires attract readers; What the next big thing is in adolescent lit:

"Today, I will explain why I don’t think we’ll ever see a stake driven through the heart of the young adult vampire novel (Sorry about that, but I couldn’t resist).

“New Moon” will be out soon, not a new moon, but The Twilight Saga: New Moon (the movie), and I can’t help but think back to when the book had just come out [in 2006.]
Stephenie Meyer [author of the four-book 'Twilight Saga'] was a guest in my Young Adult Literature class at Arizona State University that month (and it will be a blue moon before Stephenie can easily make public appearances like that again). She asked if we could put on the Eclipse Prom for her at ASU in a gymnasium that would look like the Forks High School gym, or at least like the gym most people would imagine as they read the book."