Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, July 2, 2016

And the Rockets' Red Glare. Splodey Heads Keep ‘Splodin’!

And the Rockets' Red Glare. Splodey Heads Keep ‘Splodin’!:

And the Rockets' Red Glare. Splodey Heads Keep 'Splodin'!

Out on the weekend.


(Permanent Musical Accompaniment To The Last Post Of The Week From The Blog's Favourite Living Canadian)
"My judgment approves this measure and my whole heart is in it. All that I have, and all that I am, and all that I hope in this life I am willing to stake on it. And I leave off as I began, that live or die, survive or perish, I am for the Declaration."
—John Adams, future vice-president of the United States, to the Second Continental Congress, July 1, 1776.
"Splodey heads keep 'splodin'!"
—Sarah Palin, once-possible vice-president of the United States,to the Western Conservative Summit, July 1, 2016.


Friday was the 78th birthday of the indefatigable Diane Ravitch, stalwart crusader for the survival of public education in the United States. She sent out a birthday message to her fans and, as the son of a man who spent 35 years in public secondary education, I think you should consider taking her up on what she suggests that you do.
If you want to do something for me other than say "happy birthday" (which is also nice), please join and/or make a gift of any size to theNetwork for Public Education or the NPE Action Fund, which engages in political action. I co-founded these groups with Anthony Cody, and we hope NPE will be the meeting plac e for all those who are sick of attacks on public schools and teachers, for all those who want to sing the praises of a great democratic public education system that is required by law to provide equal opportunity for all students. We want a transformation, not the status quo. We want great schools for every child, not just for the few. And we won't tolerate the naysayers who pick on the people, institutions, and values we hold dear.
And the Rockets' Red Glare. Splodey Heads Keep ‘Splodin’!: