Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 12, 2020

Russ on Reading: Haiku: A Path to Poetry for Young Writers

Russ on Reading: Haiku: A Path to Poetry for Young Writers

Haiku: A Path to Poetry for Young Writers




Most young children love poetry, but when it comes to writing poetry they are often overwhelmed by the demands of rhythm and rhyme. Sense suffers as kids scramble for rhyming words.

My Mom

I love my mom oh so muchI love her more than chocolate - Dutch!She s me all the things I needAnd I help her to weed.

Now this poem, written by a second grader, is not without its charms, but it contains a mixture of the profound and the mundane that is typical of a child stuck in the rhyme versus sense conundrum. Freeing children from the demands of rhyme allows them to tap into the natural poetry that is within them. Haiku provides a structured, but non-rhyming. poetic form with which nearly all children can be successful. 

Haiku is, of course, the short poetry form that originated in Japan. Literally CONTINUE READING: Russ on Reading: Haiku: A Path to Poetry for Young Writers