Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, August 22, 2011

Make it Your Mission to Mentor! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

Make it Your Mission to Mentor! « Diary of a Public School Teacher!

Make it Your Mission to Mentor!


About a week ago, the new principal sent an email asking the staff to take a look at a list of teachers who had signed up to host practicum and student teachers the year before. I dutifully checked the list, and saw my name. The last few years, I have mentored practicum students and student teachers. I thought about all the work involved in mentoring these students, and began to respond with a “Please remove my name from the list.” Just as I was about to hit “send”, I thought about how selfish it would be. I have 27 years of experience to offer someone who is new to this profession, and because I believe it’s too much work, I won’t do it? I deleted the email I had