Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 23, 2019

“Successful” Schools? Looking at MetWest High School and Social Justice Humanitas Academy | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

“Successful” Schools? Looking at MetWest High School and Social Justice Humanitas Academy | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

“Successful” Schools? Looking at MetWest High School and Social Justice Humanitas Academy


For the past two years I have been researching and writing about definitions of “success” and “failure” in U.S. education. As I have done with all of my book projects, I draft posts for this blog to clarify my thinking and learn from reader comments. Then I revise what I have written and those revisions become part of the book I am writing.
A year and a half ago, I posted a series on “success” and “failure” in schools (see herehere, and here). Since then I have written a few chapters for this forthcoming book that answer questions driving this study.
  1. How have “success” and “failure” been defined and applied to reforming schools and judging programs past and present?
  2. From where do these ideas of “success” and “failure” come?
  3. How were these ideas transmitted to Americans then and now?
  4. Who decides (and how) whether schools “succeed” and “fail?”
  5. What does “success”and “failure” look like in contemporary classrooms, schools and districts?
  6. So what?
Now I have four chapters that tentatively answer the first four questions. Last month I began research on the fifth question by looking at two schools deemed “successful” by current metrics but have gone beyond traditional definitions of “success” to carve out a larger, expansive view of what student, teacher, and school “success” look like.
Both California schools are non-special, that is, neither a charter nor magnet in their districts. MetWest High School* with about 160 students is in the Oakland Unified School District. It is a Big Picture school launched in 2002 that combines CONTINUE READING: “Successful” Schools? Looking at MetWest High School and Social Justice Humanitas Academy | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice