Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

“I Was Just Following Orders” | The Merrow Report

“I Was Just Following Orders” | The Merrow Report

“I Was Just Following Orders”


Three questions: Who makes the rules for classroom behavior?  How much should 5-, 6-, 7-, and 8-year-olds get to decide, or should the teacher just lay down the rules? And does it make any difference in the long run?
In my 41 years of reporting, I must have visited thousands of elementary school classrooms, and I would be willing to bet that virtually every one of them displayed–usually near the door–a poster listing the rules for student behavior.
Often the posters were store-bought, glossy and laminated, and perhaps distributed by the school district.  No editing possible, and no thought required. Just follow orders!  Here’s an example: CONTINUE READING: “I Was Just Following Orders” | The Merrow Report