Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Katie Lapham: Data Shows Not Enough Teaching - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Katie Lapham: Data Shows Not Enough Teaching - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:


Katie Lapham: Data Shows Not Enough Teaching

Guest post by Katie Lapham
As all U.S. teachers in public education know, in today's schools there exists a huge emphasis on data collection and analysis. Schools have formed data inquiry and teacher inquiry teams, and three-hole punching print-outs of students' test scores consumes many a prep period.
I did some of my own data analysis to determine how many school days will be non-teaching for me this year. It does not include the amount of classroom time that was lost to preparing my students for state tests. That data is forthcoming. In addition to the 40 days I will have spent doing state test work, seven school days were devoted to attending New York City DOE professional development workshops. A few were quite useful to my teaching