Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Steve Perry’s Dissertation: Heavy on Lit Review, Slight on Scholarship | deutsch29

Steve Perry’s Dissertation: Heavy on Lit Review, Slight on Scholarship | deutsch29:


Steve Perry’s Dissertation: Heavy on Lit Review, Slight on Scholarship

As a classroom teacher, a real teacher– real in the sense of both my credentials and my experience– I am tired of those outside of the classroom catapulting themselves into positions of quick fame in order to comment on the state of the classroom– a place either completely unfamiliar to them firsthand or of only token familiarity. Such is the motivation for my writing many of my posts, and it is my motivation here as I write about Steve Perry.
Steve Perry is not a teacher. Yet he is one of many would-be reformers who has stepped up to claim his moment in the spotlight as an education expert– and one whose contempt for teachers is obvious.
Though not a teacher, Perry was a CNN education commentator, and he opened and leads his own school in Connecticut, Capitol Preparatory Magnet School, a year-round school that advertises sending ”100% of its