Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 18, 2013

UPDATE: something still wrong Daily Kos: If you want to understand the real challenges of education

Daily Kos: If you want to understand the real challenges of education:


something still wrong with our medical system

is the way prescriptions are handled.  No, I am not talking about Medicare Part D and the donut hole, or the ban against negotiation of prices or of reimportation, all of which are important issues.
I am talking about the tilting of the playing field against independent pharmacies.
This is from personal experience, twice in recent months, first with my wife and then with me.
Under her federal employee health insurance we have full coverage on prescriptions, which given some of our medications and the official prices is critical.
We first encountered it with one of the medicines for her cancer.
This week I encountered it with one of the medicines from my psoriasis.
Our independent local pharmacy cannot get them.   The prescription plan for the federal employees is managed by CAREMARK which is CVS and the only place we can obtain those prescriptions apparently is CVS.  The wholesaler for our wonderful local independent is not given access.
Please keep reading.

If you want to understand the real challenges of education

there is nothing better I can suggest than you go right now and read Problem vs. Solution: A Response. It was written by Deborah Meier as part of the Bridging Differences blog at Education Week / Teacher, that she used to share with Diane Ravitch, then with Pedro Noguero, and now with Mike Petrilli of the Fordham Foundation. If I may, let me quote what Diane Ravitch wrote about this post:
I won't begin to summarize what she said. Let me just say that she is at her best and what she wrote about children, about the shrinking middle class, and about what schools can and cannot do. Please take the time to read what she wrote.
Deborah has rightly been recognized for her dedication to children with among other things being a recipient of one of the Genius Awards from the MacArthur Foundation.I am not going to quote anything.  I am simply going to join Diane Ravitch and say
Please take the time to read what she wrote.
You will be glad that you did.
Peace.