Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 21, 2012

Ex-Marine turned teacher: ‘Stop demonizing me and my profession’

Ex-Marine turned teacher: ‘Stop demonizing me and my profession’:


Ex-Marine turned teacher: ‘Stop demonizing me and my profession’


Matthew Swope has been teaching physics for 10 years and before entering the teaching profession, was a Marine and a police officer. The following piece by Swope was first published on Diane Ravitch’s blog. It is both moving and important.
By Matthew Swope
I am a teacher. Year 10. High school physics. I am a professional educator in a field that demands professional credentials, continuing education, skill and knowledge based licensing exams and background checks including fingerprints so I am deemed responsible enough and safe enough to work with children. I’m a mandated reporter of physical abuse, neglect, and sexual abuse.
There, now I’ve established my bona fides and authority to speak knowledgeably on the