Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, October 21, 2012

The Wisdom and Legacy of George McGovern, Who Told America to Come Home | The Dissenter

The Wisdom and Legacy of George McGovern, Who Told America to Come Home | The Dissenter:


The Wisdom and Legacy of George McGovern, Who Told America to Come Home

Screen shot from "Democracy Now!" special on McGovern nearing death
There is nothing I remember about the late Senator George McGovern, who just passed away at the age 0f 90. I was not alive when he made his historic run for president in 1972, energizing the antiwar movement and other Americans with hope. Nor was I alive in 1968 or 1984 when he also ran for president. And I did not ever get to vote for this man, however, I would like to take a moment to highlight the wisdom of McGovern and apply some of what he said about politics and society while he was alive to the present.
McGovern delivered remarks at the Jefferson-Jackson Day dinner in Detroit on April 25, 1972. The New York Times published his remarks under the title, “My Stand.” As the campaign of Ed Muskie floundered and Hubert