Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Becoming a Special Education Teacher Almost Overnight - voiceofsandiego.org: Pounding The Pavement

Becoming a Special Education Teacher Almost Overnight - voiceofsandiego.org: Pounding The Pavement:

Becoming a Special Education Teacher Almost Overnight

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size
  • Josette Gerry, who taught fourth grade at Hawthorne Elementary School in Clairemont last year, said she learned on the job how best to teach the children with disabilities who were moved into her general education classroom.

RELATED STORIES

Join Our Investigation and Conversation
Come with me as I explore San Diego Unified School District’s recent shift away from educating children with disabilities in separate, full-day special education classes and towards a more inclusive model, where those students work, play and learn next to their nondisabled peers.
As I investigate the successes and failures of the district’s new era in special education, I want you to be my guides. Steer my reporting by interacting with me as I investigate this story. Share your stories. Participate in the conversation.
Call me at 619.550.5670. Email me. Send me messages on Twitter or Facebook. Write comments on this blog. Send it out to your friends, your colleagues and let’s get a conversation started.

Posted: Wednesday, October 5, 2011 3:00 pm |Updated: 3:44 pm, Wed Oct 5, 2011.

If my wife wanted to teach a general education class in California, she wouldn't be allowed.

Why not? Because she has a special education credential (from San Diego State University). She's specifically qualified to teach students with disabilities like autism, cerebral palsy, emotional disturbance or Asperger's syndrome.

That makes sense, right? She's been