Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Our Schools Are Not Broken: The Problem is Poverty--by Stephen Krashenyellow tulips

yellow tulips

Our Schools Are Not Broken: The Problem is Poverty--by Stephen Krashen

President Obama should replace Arne Duncan with Stephen Krashen as Secretary of Education; Krashen's analysis is accurate and insightful.
I've included some key highlights from Stephen Krashen's speech entitled: "Our Schools Are Not Broken: The Problem is Poverty--by Stephen Krashen" originally given as the commencement speech at the Graduate School of Education and Counseling, Lewis and Clark College on June 5, 2011


To hear the full speech, begin at 34:34
yellow tulips

I Don't Want to be a Teacher Anymore----How the Education Deformers Are Driving Quality Teachers Out of the Profession

Check out the post "I Don't Want to be a Teacher Anymore" by Thalli on Daily Kos. A 34-year veteran teacher outlines the changes public education has undergone over the past 3 decades and the demoralization that comes along with the increasing lack of teacher autonomy we are seeing under the current high-stakes testing obsessed "reform" (DEFORM!) movement. Education Deformers: you are driving quality teachers out of the profession!

 I’ve always been a teacher.  Even before I received my teaching credentials 34 years ago, I was 

Schools will never fix inequality: Diane Ravitch vs. Arne Duncan fight misses point on poverty

Check out this editorial, Schools will never fix inequality: Diane Ravitch vs. Arne Duncan fight misses point on poverty, by John Marsh published June 19, 2011 in the NY Daily News:

Why the President Must Remove Arne Duncan and End High-Stakes Testing Policies in Our Public Schools: A Letter to Barack Obama

Shame on you, Barack Obama. I voted for you. I campaigned for you. I donated to you and raised money for you. When I heard you speak about the problem of educational inequality in this country at the 2004 Democratic National Convention, I felt inspired. This is an issue that has been extraordinarily important to me for some time now, and I believed that you actually intended to do something about it. But instead, you continue to support the high stakes testing agenda and business-like competition among our public schools.

You and your Secretary of Education support tying teacher tenure/hiring/firing to standardized test scores. In so