Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

NEA Obama endorsement? Probably. But not yet. « Fred Klonsky's blog

NEA Obama endorsement? Probably. But not yet. « Fred Klonsky's blog

NEA Obama endorsement? Probably. But not yet.

NEA President Dennis Van Roekel keeps having these delegate teleconferences where delegates to the RA are invited to call in with questions.

Except me. I get screened out.

Hey. I understand. I screen unwanted calls myself.

But here it is:

“Dennis, my friend (union presidents love that “my friend” or “my brother” stuff). Never before in our union’s history have we endorsed a presidential candidate two years before the election. What is it about the current administration’s record toward labor or education that would have it deserve this unprecedented action?”

A number of people have told me over the past few days that they thought the NEA had already endorsed Obama.

Not so.

Oh, the leadership has voted to propose it to the RA. And nobody can seriously believe that the leadership would