Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Alice Walker: Why I sail. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Alice Walker: Why I sail. « Fred Klonsky's blog

Alice Walker: Why I sail.

Pulitizer Prize winning author, Alice Walker. This column appears on CNN and will appear on her blog.

Why am I going on the Freedom Flotilla II to Gaza?

I ask myself this, even though the answer is: What else would I do? I am in my sixty-seventh year, having lived already a long and fruitful life, one with which I am content.

It seems to me that during this period of eldering it is good to reap the harvest of one’s understanding of what is important, and to share this, especially with the young. How are they to learn, otherwise?

Our boat, The Audacity of Hope, will be carrying letters to the people of Gaza. Letters expressing solidarity and