Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 16, 2011

San Diego City College Protest Against Budget Cuts, April 15, 2011

San Diego City College Protest Against Budget Cuts, April 15, 2011

San Diego City College Protest Against Budget Cuts, April 15, 2011

by DAVE RICE on APRIL 15, 2011

in: CALIFORNIA, ECONOMY, EDUCATION, SAN DIEGO

My faith in the ability of my generation and the one following mine to actually give a damn got a major boost today when I headed down to City College at the (for the under-30 and under-employed set) ungodly hour of 8:00 for the pre-rally to a protest of the educational budget cuts proposed by Governor Jerry Brown.

First off, I’ve got to say that in general, I admire Brown’s apparent willingness to compromise on shrinking the state budget gap with equal measures of cuts and taxes – not tax increases, mind you, any Democratic proposal like that would never fly with the state’s Republicans who represent large chunks of land but small portions of the population – these would just be continuations of tax hikes imposed under Republican leadership that are set to expire. I’m still concerned, though, about