Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 13, 2021

Plagiarism, Accountability, and Adult Hypocrisy – radical eyes for equity

Plagiarism, Accountability, and Adult Hypocrisy – radical eyes for equity
Plagiarism, Accountability, and Adult Hypocrisy


You said “I think I’m like Tennessee Williams”
I wait for the click. I wait, but it doesn’t kick in

“CITY MIDDLE,” THE NATIONAL

A refrain by my father throughout my childhood and into my adolescence has shaped how I try to live my life; it remains possibly the strongest impulse I have as an adult.

My father’s parenting philosophy was possibly as misguided as it was reflective of the essential problem with how adults interact with children and teens: “Do as I say, not as I do.”

As a child growing up in the rural crossroads of Enoree, South Carolina, I witnessed my father announcing his dictum, sitting in our living room with a glass of Crown Royal in one hand and a cigarette in the other.

By the time I was a teen, the scenes were often far more physical, occasionally ending with me on the floor as my father attempted to wrestle me into compliance.

A game of him demanding, “Don’t say another word,” and me replying, “Word,” as he tightening his hold on me against the faux-brick linoleum of a different CONTINUE READING: Plagiarism, Accountability, and Adult Hypocrisy – radical eyes for equity