Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, February 4, 2021

WHAT’S THE PROBABILITY? – Dad Gone Wild

WHAT’S THE PROBABILITY? – Dad Gone Wild
WHAT’S THE PROBABILITY?



“Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman.”
― Louis D. Brandeis, Other People’s Money And How the Bankers Use It

 

I grew up a military brat and therefore spent my formative years on or nearby military bases. My father proudly served for 24 years in the Air Force. In the early Eighties, we were living in Pennsylvania, not far from Tobyhanna.

At the time there was a little lake/pond just inside the gate that was primarily used for fishing. Somebody took a look at that body of water and decided that it should also serve as a swimming hole. It was water and small enough, all someone presumably needed to do was buy some buoys and a lifeguard chair, and walla! A brand new recreational opportunity would be created. So without any delay or further research, a want ad for an aquatics director was placed.

Fortunately, I was an out of work lifeguard needing a summer gig. This sounded perfect. I could create something and watch over it. At 17, I would begin the crafting of my legacy. The powers that be were impressed with my sales pitch and I was hired.

After being sworn in, I quickly got to work getting quotes for beach equipment and writing policies. Unfortunately, two days after my start, the corp of engineers actually surveyed the proposed CONTINUE READING: WHAT’S THE PROBABILITY? – Dad Gone Wild