Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 9, 2021

DOWN AT THE FACULTY LOUNGE – Dad Gone Wild

DOWN AT THE FACULTY LOUNGE – Dad Gone Wild
DOWN AT THE FACULTY LOUNGE

“Id Faciam

What I hate I love. Ask the crucified hand that holds
the nail that now is driven into itself, why.”
― Catullus

 

The phone rang this morning, It was my pal Slatsky, “Come on down to the Faculty Lounge and grab lunch with me.”

When I got there, Slats was sitting at the bar with an empty shot glass and a half-filled beer in front of him. I raised my eyebrows and motioned to the bartender for soda water.

Slatsky looked at me with his hands out, palms up, “Come on give me a break. Been a hard week.”

I chuckled ironically, as I slipped into my seat. In front of my pal was a folded newspaper, displaying an article by Meghan Mangrum about teachers traveling for miles to get COVID-19 vaccines.

“You see this crap”, he said to me while taping the article with his forefinger, “What the hell?”

I just shook my head and said, “It’s crazy man. I got no words.”

“I tell you what the deal is, it’s teachers, once again, doing what they always do, covering up for our inadequacies. Think about it. Don’t devote enough resources to classrooms, what do teachers do? They go into their own pockets to make up the difference. Put too many responsibilities on, make it impossible to do it all in a day, and they’ll just come in on the weekend for free? A kid needs someone to talk to at 9 at night, and nobody is available, who takes the call? A teacher!”

He had obviously been thinking about this for a while.

“It’s always left up to teachers to fix. Whatever the case. If there is a shortfall, it’s made up by teachers. Teachers rarely complain, because if they do, people jump on them for putting CONTINUE READING: DOWN AT THE FACULTY LOUNGE – Dad Gone Wild