Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

“We Can Only Hope” (Terence Freeman) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

“We Can Only Hope” (Terence Freeman) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice
“We Can Only Hope” (Terence Freeman)



Freeman is an English teacher at Lawton High School in Lawton, Oklahoma. He has taught 14 years at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point and 26 years at Lawton High School. This story appeared in the Washington Post’s online article, October 6, 2020. Freeman is one of nine teachers the newspaper asked to report on their experiences in returning to remote and in-person instruction during the pandemic.

Hope was on my mind in the summer months leading up to this academic year. I hoped the school had plans and funding for sanitizer, cleaning liquids, paper towels, masks, teacher testing and more; hoped that I and my students would remain healthy; hoped that I could still have the personal relationship with students that enables learning to happen.

I will remember Hands. During Week 2, I took my classes to the library, where the district fulfilled its promise to provide every student with a Chromebook. I CONTINUE READING: “We Can Only Hope” (Terence Freeman) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice