Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 3, 2020

Rebekah Ray: Florida Is the Worst Place to Be a Teacher | Diane Ravitch's blog

Rebekah Ray: Florida Is the Worst Place to Be a Teacher | Diane Ravitch's blog

Rebekah Ray: Florida Is the Worst Place to Be a Teacher




Rebekah Ray responded to another Florida teacher who complained the changes by the State Legislature has destroyed the promises made to him when he became a teacher. It’s method of evaluating teachers is one of the worst in the nation. If they don’t teach reading or math in grades 3-8, they are assigned ratings for students they never taught in subjects they never taught.
Ray writes:
I would not sign that evaluation. The first year Florida started its detrimental evaluation system I taught all 11th grade classes. I was asked to meet with the principal and the AP of curriculum (my evaluator) and was told I was a “Needs Improvement Teacher”. I was devastated because prior to that year, I had always received outstanding evaluations. I was also an NBCT teacher. Additionally, for that first year of the insane evaluation system, all teachers on campus who did not teach 9th and 10th grade were supposed to receive the school-wide VAM. I pointed out that I should have received the SW VAM scores because I taught all 11th grade students. The AP looked at me and said, “No, you have one 10th grade class.” At that point, my devil horns came out, and I CONTINUE READING: Rebekah Ray: Florida Is the Worst Place to Be a Teacher | Diane Ravitch's blog