Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Please be careful, NYC elementary school teachers | JD2718

Please be careful, NYC elementary school teachers | JD2718

Please be careful, NYC elementary school teachers




This is not your fault. This was not your decision.
Odds are, no one asked you, the person who knows the job best, what you thought. What you think.
The planning for today, Tuesday September 29, the first day of elementary school in NYC, that planning has been dumped on principals. Some principals are smart and clever. But no principal has been trained in organizing a school to operate.
I’m not there, and I’m excited and nervous for the first day. I am not the only high school teacher who is terrified of those little kids – I do not know how you do it.
I hope the little ones are used to seeing adults in masks by now. I know first day meltdowns occur, and hope you get lucky and have none. But thinking about that makes me tens.
I’m more concerned by procedures – in those schools where the principal was not necessarily so great at the planning details. How smooth is the entry? Is social distancing more or less maintained? Have they figured out what to do with kids who come on the wrong day? Or has your school been absolutely excellent at making sure that parents only come on the right day? Is there a good procedure for moving kids to your room? I guess double lines are out… I love double lines. I’m hoping that once they are in your room they are in better hands, and the teaching (socially distanced of course) takes over and provides structure. Even us high school folks make classroom rules – though probably not as creatively as you.
All of those entry procedures (and dismissal, too), all of that was up to the principal to plan. 1800+ CONTINUE READING: Please be careful, NYC elementary school teachers | JD2718