Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Dear Students, Now That The 2020 School Year Kicked Off, Please Help Us Find Our Way - Philly's 7th Ward

Dear Students, Now That The 2020 School Year Kicked Off, Please Help Us Find Our Way - Philly's 7th Ward

DEAR STUDENTS, NOW THAT THE 2020 SCHOOL YEAR KICKED OFF, PLEASE HELP US FIND OUR WAY




To the Tremendous Energy at the Start of an Unprecedented School Year
Growing up, I attended a small Catholic grade school in East Camden. We were a small community, but a community nonetheless. At the start of every school year, I could depend on seeing the same familiar faces; whether I cared for some of those faces or not is another story. But I digress.
Two things made our school uniquely different in my adolescent view. First, we were taught Catholicism; it was core content. However, it made for interesting conversations with the elders of my Black Baptist Church-going family. Second was that white kids didn’t attend our school; our school was an amalgam of Latinx and Black kids with mostly, if not only, white teachers and administrators.
It wasn’t the same for high school.
I attended a Catholic high school and while I was sadly accustom to learning from all white teachers, it was the first time that I would share classroom space with white kids. Although I had all white teachers in grade school, our student body gave me a level of comfort; we and our families were the CONTINUE READING: Dear Students, Now That The 2020 School Year Kicked Off, Please Help Us Find Our Way - Philly's 7th Ward