Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 25, 2020

Adventures in Online Teaching: Reinventing the Wheel for a Handful of Students | gadflyonthewallblog

Adventures in Online Teaching: Reinventing the Wheel for a Handful of Students | gadflyonthewallblog

Adventures in Online Teaching: Reinventing the Wheel for a Handful of Students


Today in our ZOOM meeting, one of my students tried to get one over on me.
I sat at the bureau in my guest bedroom, surveying a gallery of 7th grade faces lined up in little boxes on my laptop like the opening scene of the Brady Bunch.
Lilly was lying on her bed face up, almost definitely scrolling on her cell phone.
Pha’rrel was eating a cookie as he tried to fit his overgrown curls under a gray hoodie.
And Jimmy was smiling at me with the cheesiest close up you ever saw in your life.
The smile was so wide. The eyes were so glassy. The face was so still.
“Jimmy, did you put up a picture of yourself on your camera!?” I asked.