Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 11, 2020

NYC Educator: Virtual Parent Teacher Night, Great. Now, What About Every Other Day?

NYC Educator: Virtual Parent Teacher Night, Great. Now, What About Every Other Day?

Virtual Parent Teacher Night, Great. Now, What About Every Other Day?


This morning I drove to work. I left my home at 6 AM as per usual. I was thinking a lot about the proposed parent-teacher night, the one in which no parents are coming to school. I'm also getting a lot of email about it.

Are we doing this in our school?

Yes we are. It's citywide.

How am I going to call 170 parents?

You aren't. You don't see 170 parents on any night. Also, I'm mystified as to how the onus is on you. Parent teacher night is when the parents decide to come see you. Or not. Every single day you have to opportunity to call parents. Honestly I don't see that many. Parents of my students do not speak English, and though we provide translators, though I speak Spanish, though I have good friends who speak other languages, most don't show.

It seems to me it's on parents to get in touch with us, and it's on DOE to figure a way they can do that. I understand Google Voice can provide a phone number that will ring you. That's what I'm thinking about.

I don't want to ask to do this from home. The principal may not like it.

Then don't, and don't complain you weren't able to do that. That's an option, the city offered it, and you have a right to take CONTINUE READING: 
NYC Educator: Virtual Parent Teacher Night, Great. Now, What About Every Other Day?