Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, September 1, 2019

Answering Jeanne Allen’s Question About Whether “the Union” Paid for My Home | Diane Ravitch's blog

Answering Jeanne Allen’s Question About Whether “the Union” Paid for My Home | Diane Ravitch's blog

Answering Jeanne Allen’s Question About Whether “the Union” Paid for My Home

Last May 10, Jeanne Allen of the Center for Education Reform sent a tweet my way. Allen is a big advocate for every kind of school choice, except for public schools. Before she started her current gig, she worked for the far-right Heritage Foundation. For years, her organization has been a big cheerleader for charters and has opposed any effort by states to regulate them or hold them accountable.
In case you are not on Twitter, she wrote:
And she never mentions the millions in her bank account that pay for her Brooklyn brownstone. Didn’t come from writing books or academia. Perhaps the union?
I responded that I paid for my home myself.
But there is more to the story. I bought the Brooklyn brownstone in 1988, at a time when I was allied with conservative groups. In other words, I was on Jeanne Allen’s side. Checker Finn and I had formed the Educational Excellence Network, to advocate for standards, testing, accountability, and a liberal arts-focused curriculum. Charters did not exist. In 1991, I went CONTINUE READING: Answering Jeanne Allen’s Question About Whether “the Union” Paid for My Home | Diane Ravitch's blog