Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

6-4-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:







“Kids who get health insurance are more likely to finish high school and college”
Kids who get health insurance are more likely to finish high school and college is the headline of an article in Vox about a new study that doesn’t provide any surprised to experienced teachers in low-income communities — students having access to health care results in increased academic achievement. Here’s an excerpt: Two things could cause access to health insurance to influence educational ac
Just Revised & Updated “Best” List On Creating Online Slideshows
I’ve just revised and updated The Best Ways To Create Online Slideshows. Let me know what I’m missing….


Updated iPhone “Best” List
I did a quick run-through of my The Best Sites For Beginning iPhone Users Like Me list, and deleted a number of dead links. I did keep a number of resources that are older, but I think, still useful. The most recent links are near the bottom, as they are in all my lists.
“How Can We Develop a Culture of Success in Schools?”
How Can We Develop a Culture of Success in Schools? is the latest “question of the week” at my Education Week Teacher column. You’re welcome to leave your responses there or in the comments section here…

My New BAM! Show: “How Can Teachers Meet the Common Core Requirement for Complex Reading?”
How Can Teachers Meet the Common Core Requirement for Complex Reading? is the title of my new ten minute conversation with Amy Benjamin and Wendi Pillars at my BAM! Radio show. It’s also a topic for my Ed Week column later this month.


“slidebean” Looks Like A Good Way For Creating Online Slideshows
slidebean is a new free tool for creating online slideshows. It provides multiple formats and the ability to search the Web, within the application, for images. I’m adding it to The Best Ways To Create Online Slideshows. Here’s a video that describes how it works: Thanks to TechCrunch for the tip.


6-3-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Photo Galleries Of The WeekObviously, photos can be great educational tools with English Language Learners and with any students (see The Best Ways To Use Photos In Lessons). I post about many photo galleries, also called slideshows. To do it in a little more organized way, though, I recently began this weekly feature calle