Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 4, 2014

NYC Educator: Hey, Mr. Mulgrew, Can You Pause the Gloating for a Moment to Consider This?

NYC Educator: Hey, Mr. Mulgrew, Can You Pause the Gloating for a Moment to Consider This?:



Hey, Mr. Mulgrew, Can You Pause the Gloating for a Moment to Consider This?

Dear Mr. Mulgrew,

I think we all knew the contract would pass, not because it was a good contract, but because something looks better than nothing to a demoralized, post-Bloomberg workforce.  It is a sad commentary that we have spent a decade dug into a pit, largely with the overt aid of corporate interests and, now, we are happy for even scraps.  If we dig down much further, Mr. Mulgrew, I'm pretty sure we'll find Mr. Shanker rolling over in his grave.

I know I really haven't begun, yet, to play my part in this "war" to save public education and the democracy it supports.  I've primarily watched from the sidelines.  Things pretty much played out as I expected with the contract. But I also realize there are many unwritten chapters.  We're living in an epic, Mr. Mulgrew, and many of us will have bigger roles to play before its finish.  

I learned a lot.  The UFT didn't seem to care to ask me or the rank and file much of what we wanted to see in a new contract.  Unity, assuming it knew best, successfully shoved the contract past its contract committee, executive board and D.A., allowing no time for even the pretense of their careful consideration.  I stayed up late that Tuesday night, reading and re-reading the M.O.A.  I'm not sure I understood all of it, but I sure as heck tried.  I doubt many in the D.A. did the same.  I'm sure they read your e-mails though.  So, they knew when to raise their hands.

The Unity propaganda machine rolled well, better than MORE's.  I know of one para who read our CL's letter and told me she was voting for the contract because she didn't want to be #151.  If these are the best arguments for the contract, I feel sorry for the future of our union.  Unity sent its representatives to most schools, purportedly to explain the contract, but actually to sell it.  The contract proposal was NYC Educator: Hey, Mr. Mulgrew, Can You Pause the Gloating for a Moment to Consider This?: