Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Weingarten Wants Common Core; Lewis Says We’re Done | deutsch29

Weingarten Wants Common Core; Lewis Says We’re Done | deutsch29:



Weingarten Wants Common Core; Lewis Says We’re Done

May 7, 2014


In spring 1991, I completed my student teaching at Ascension High School in Gonzales, Louisiana. I taught Lord of the Flies, a creepy novel about the dangers of groupthink.
So often when I think of the United Federation of Teachers (UFT) Unity Caucusmindset of unquestioned (and unquestionable) allegiance to a single position on an issue impacting teachers and the teaching profession, I think of Lord of the Flies.
American Federation of Teachers (AFT) President Randi Weingarten hails from that Unity Caucus mindset, and it has shown itself time andagain (and again and again) in her unwavering allegiance to the never-tested, secretly-c0ncocted, corporate-benefiting Common Core State Standards (CCSS).
Then there is Chicago Teachers Union (CTU) President Karen Lewis.
CTU once had its own Lord of the Flies Unity Caucus. However, according to Lewis, the CTU Unity Caucus died with her re-election in 2013.
I can’t imagine Lewis bending to groupthink.
I first came to “know” Lewis through writing my book, A Chronicle of EchoesThe book includes three chapters on the history of mayoral control of education in Chicago. Lewis is a major part of that history.
In February 2014, I had the pleasure of meeting Lewis for the first time during her travels to New Orleans for the AFT Executive Council meeting. We had dinner one evening, and I asked Lewis to dump CCSS. She told me that she needed to act in a Weingarten Wants Common Core; Lewis Says We’re Done | deutsch29: