Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Administrative Tightrope and Finding Balance | Connected Principals

The Administrative Tightrope and Finding Balance | Connected Principals:



The Administrative Tightrope and Finding Balance

I wrote the following blog piece this past fall.  As an administrator heading into spring, I felt that it was appropriate to publish this piece again, to not only remind myself about finding balance in my work, but to remind others too, that they need to find balance so that they bring their very best “self” to work each day as we quickly move toward the end of the year demands of school.
This morning I was on the phone with a principal colleague from Boston when I realized what I would write about this week for my blog.  It’s funny how an ordinary conversation can take a turn and help bring clarity and focus to a situation.
Both of us were talking about our hours at work and what it takes to be an elementary school principal.  I was sharing how for the past couple of weeks at least, I’ve been working almost 12 hour days at school and then coming home and trying to work at night, in addition to working on weekends as well.  My colleague shared that she, too, had been working long hours at school and that she often went in for several hours on the weekend.  
People who know me understand how much I love my job and how dedicated to children I am.  For me, personally, that is one of the best things about my job: It never feels like work and I find that the enjoyment I get from what I do professionally fuels me and naturally renews me…most of the time.  
Tightrope
Despite my loving my work, I have also felt slightly “off” lately and this morning’s conversation reminded me why.  In addition to being passionate about education and my work, I am also deeply passionate about the things I do outside of work as well.  I am an avid gardener, I golf and snowboard, I’m an