Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Reflections on Teaching » Week 20-24: Where did the hours go? + Human Rights lesson done right…

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive » Week 20-24: Where did the hours go?:



Week 20-24: Where did the hours go?









 Waste less EARTH do less homework[Day270]*
So between a week up at Sly Park in the Sierra, parent conferences, and the craziness brought on my an early spring in California, I have become a very poor correspondent about goings on in my classroom. This is the time (before spring break) when it can become a grind, for the kids, and for me. Time goes both fast (look at how these posts have gotten away from me) and s-l-o-w, stretching everyone’s patience. It’s probably the time to change things up, but given a super-busy outside of school schedule I have, that hasn’t happened. What are the kids doing?
  • They’ve started work on Country Reports that will lead to a Tour of Nations fair in April. The exciting part of this is that I’m including the inclusion students who come to my class, so it’s been a good 
Human Rights lesson done right…
So way back, in the dim mist of time (before winter break), I finished a unit on human rights loosely based on an idea from a really poorly executed unit that I first heard about here. The unit had students reading the novel Esperanza Rising, while looking at her life through the lens of a legal document, the UN Declaration of the Rights of the Child. On the whole, the unit worked very well, and t