Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

3-11-14 With A Brooklyn Accent Go BATs All Week

With A Brooklyn Accent:







A First Year Bronx Teacher Who Loves Her Kids Says "Enough"
There comes a point when you've been shoved around by your job so much that you stop caring. It's scary when that day is a Tuesday in March and you're a teacher. I've been bullied. I've been ignored. My kids IEPs are a catastrophe (I don't do them, we have a "team" for that). I've been told I can't do my EdTPA for my certification with my students because I can't record them when my sch
The Perils of "Grit"
Many proponents of Data Driven education reforms, including Arne Duncan,and NY Education Commissioner John King have spoken of the need to toughen up children to prepare them for the Global Marketplace- especially children growing up in poverty-and have claimed their policies were designed to impart characteristics like "Grit" and ability to perform under pressure.There is a certain crue


3-10-14 With A Brooklyn Accent Go BATs All Week
With A Brooklyn Accent: On the Misuse of Statistics in Testing by the NY State Department of Education: Anonymous Posting by a Friendly StatisticianThe Common Core and Departments of Education: Lies, Darn Lies, Statistics and Education StatisticsNumbers have taken center stage in the discussion of education policy in the United States. Test score metrics have become a particularly critical set of