Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

1-21-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:









Resources On The State Of The Union Address
President Obama will be delivering the annual State Of The Union address next Tuesday night. I have lots of useful resources you might want to check out at The Best (& Most Intriguing) Resources For Learning About The State Of The Union Message. And here’s a video the White House just put out about this year’s address:
A Beginning List Of The Best Resources On California’s Drought
As you may already know, here in California we’re experiencing the driest winter in recorded history. I figured now is as good as time as any to being a “Best” list that I’m sure will be expanding greatly over the coming months. Feel free to offer suggestions of resources I should add to this list. You probably want to start with this pretty good overview, including charts, graphs and images, fro


Resources On Japanese-American Internment
Every January 30th is officially Fred Korematsu Day in California. Here’s some background on it from YES Magazine: In 1942, 23 year-old shipyard welder Fred Korematsu refused to join over 120,000 West Coast Japanese Americans who were rounded up and taken to incarceration camps under President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Executive Order No. 9066. While Korematsu’s family was at the Topaz incarcerati
From The Archives: “Five ways to get kids to want to read and write”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Today, I’m highlighting an excerpt from one of my books that The Washington Post published. The excerpt is titled Five ways to get kids to want to read and write. Here’s an excerpt:


This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t” — January (Part Three)
I have a huge backlog of resources that I’ve been planning to post about in blog but, just because of time constraints, have not gotten around to doing. Instead of letting that backlog grow bigger, I regularly grab a few and list them here with a minimal description. It forces me to look through these older links, and help me organize them for my own use. I hope others will find them helpful, too


1-20-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Good Posts & Articles on Education PolicyHere are some recent useful posts and articles on educational policy issues: Everything you need to know about Common Core is by Diane Ravitch. I’m adding it to The Best Articles Sharing Concerns About Common Core Standards. Beware Chinese data: Its scho