Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 14, 2013

11-14-13 @ THE CHALK FACE

@ THE CHALK FACE:






Cheng’s Views on Chinese and Ameerican Education
We live in a time in which the worship of test scores has bred an unprecedented, obsessive desire among corporate reformers to best other countries on international tests. I supposed such would somehow permanently etch into the world consciousness that the United States truly is ”the” world power to be reckoned with. Thus, any time international test results become available, […]

Lesson plans: Something scripted, something borrowed, something new. #ShareMyLesson
Today I was preparing a sub plans for next week and read Shaun Johnson’s piece about lesson plan books during my lunch period.  I know I will be out for a morning next week for some dental work so I am getting my lesson plans set for the day I will be absent.  Any teacher […]

This is bad @waldenu, very bad. Why would you do this? #phd
Earn a #PhD in #Education online, on your own time. Find out how we can help you! http://t.co/oeh5Cy3Skg — Walden University (@WaldenU) October 10, 2013


As promised, a deeply personal and private look at (GASP!) my plan book #edchat @rweingarten #sharemylesson
Gazing into the educator’s plan book is a highly uncommon occurrence, and I say this with just a hint of sarcasm. I don’t really know why it’s so deeply personal, seems silly, but it really is very personal. I hear and read quite a bit about lesson plans for this and that. Templates for, of […]

21st Century Numbers Games
I remember vividly the moment I fell out of love with numbers. First semester of my freshman year of college, I sat in the weekly fourth hour of calculus set aside as a test period. I was reading a question that was something about shooting a bullet in a vacuum, and the only response I […]
Shhh: No Yelling Allowed
Have you ever worked in a public school where teachers often yelled at students? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen educators yell at students. Now, before you think I’m completely innocent, I can assure you, I’m not. I’ve had several “bad teacher moments” too. However, after a few years of observing my […]
The Most Disturbing Post Yet…
Hello, America!! As I sit here enjoying the 86 degree daily sunshine & palm trees in Dubai, UAE, I am thinking of my friends and family in Boston, where I understand winter is upon them. As much as I continue to be homesick, I do not miss the impending winter weather, and have decided to […]
11-13-13 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: Louisiana School Letter Grades: The Games Reformers PlayLet me begin this post by stating that I am against the use of letter grades as a measure of school performance. Assigning a single letter grade to a school in order to determine school worth bespeaks the disguised agenda of privatization– nothing more. And yet, the grading of public schools abounds. Reformers insist that […