Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 1, 2013

11-1-13 @ THE CHALK FACE

@ THE CHALK FACE:




Ninety-five Louisiana Department of Education (LDOE) Documents
There is more to a website than the information accessed by clicking its active links. This I learned years ago in my dealings with statistics software that utilizes both windows and code. Armed with such knowledge, yesterday I spent six hours combing the Louisiana Department of Education (LDOE) website searching for useful information “hidden in plain sight,” so to […]
An open letter to #AERA. No thank you.
Dearest American Education Research Association (AERA): This week, I received yet another solicitation to renew my membership to AERA. And once again, I will ignore this email and decline membership renewal. But this is the first time I’ve chosen to respond. In this message, AERA is being touted as the following: Your membership helps make a difference […]

Common Core and Text Complexity: “It’s a madhouse! A madhouse!”
Valerie Strauss’s The Answer Sheet has a discussion of Common Core and text complexity that you must read: Common Core: How are books judged? Strauss ends with: Appendix A of the English Language Arts Common Core State Standards has a long and complicated explanation of “text complexity,” which you can read here, that reviews research said […]


Surprise! I Try Again To Propose Some Sanity in the War Against the Core.
The Author Working at Home Over on one of the “secret” Facebook groups I’m on (I’d mention the name but then of course I would have to have my cats bury you in hairballs – and believe me, they could do it), there was some mild confusion today about whether we opposed the Common Core […]


10-31-13 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: NYSED: Cherry picking data.Here is another example of education reformers cherry picking data.  New York Education Commissioner John King and the Board of Regents have been under a tremendous amount of pressure from parents and educators across the Empire State about the Common Core implementation and the significant increase in mandated testing, along with the cancellation and r