Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, November 1, 2013

11-1-13 Perdido Street School

Perdido Street School:







Why Chris Christie Will Never Be President
There's some talk around that Chris Christie could be elected president.I'm going to go on record right now and say he will not be elected president.Having watched him here in NJ, I can tell you that he cannot stand up to media scrutiny in a national election.Tonight TIME reports that the Romney campaign pretty much decided the same thing in 2012:In an excerpt from their new book Double Down: Game


Why Common Core Will Fail
The Atlantic looks at so-called text complexity:Here’s a pop quiz: according to the measurements used in the new Common Core Standards, which of these books would be complex enough for a ninth grader? a. Huckleberry Finnb. To Kill a Mockingbirdc. Jane Eyred. Sports Illustrated for Kids' Awesome Athletes!The only correct answer is “d,” since all the others have a “Lexile” score so low that they are
Does It Feel Like March To You?
It's November 1.I'm exhausted.I have three Regents prep classes - one is  remedial class with students who have failed the Regents exam three times.I have two senior classes.I'm helping out with college admissions twice a week.And I just started writing college recommendations.I taught this senior class when they were freshmen, so I know them for four years.I am going to be writing a lot of recomm
10-31-13 Perdido Street School
Perdido Street School: NYSED: Teacher Evaluations Not ConfusingNope - they're complex!SCHOOLBOOK: Why are we hearing complaints about children in kindergarten through second grade being given extra assessments that are taking time away from class? SCHWARTZ: That would depend upon the strategy that was locally collectively bargained. There may be some districts in which they decided that they were