Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Remember the 'I Quit Teach for America' essay? Here's the... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

Remember the 'I Quit Teach for America' essay? Here's the... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com:

Remember the 'I Quit Teach for America' essay? Here's the counterpoint. 'I stayed.' 

Tre Tennyson spent two years with Teach for America at an Atlanta school and is planning now to teach in China.
He wrote this piece in response to a former TFA at the same APS school where he taught who wrote about why she bailed out of the program a year early. Olivia Blanchard's "I Quit Teach for America" in the Atlantic has gotten a lot of attention, including here on the blog.
I predict Tennyson's piece will command equal attention.
 By Tre Tennyson
Last week, I came across a provocative headline: “I Quit Teach for America.”
As an alum of TFA, it caught my attention. And when I saw the author’s name, I clicked eagerly. Contributor Olivia Blanchard and I were fifth grade teachers at Dobbs Elementary before she made the decision she details in her piece.
We went through the same training, taught in the same school,