Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 15, 2013

8-15-13 Jersey Jazzman: Criteria, Norms, NASCAR, and Driving Tests in NY

Jersey Jazzman: Criteria, Norms, NASCAR, and Driving Tests in NY:








Criteria, Norms, NASCAR, and Driving Tests in NY
Here's a bit of completely made up news: the New York State Education Department is taking over driving exams for the state's Motor Vehicles Department. As we all know, the unacceptable rate of accidents on New York's roads is due to a lack of "rigor" in driving instruction. John King, NYSED commissioner, is going to change all that with a new driving test that is more "realistic"; it will emphasi



8-13-13 Jersey Jazzman
Jersey Jazzman: NY State Tests: Misguided Mixing of Norms and CriteriaBefore I go any further, I think I need to regroup. Most of you probably have a good familiarity with what I'm going to discuss; however, I think it may be helpful to step back for a moment and think about some of the basics before we proceed. I know it will be helpful to me. When we last left our discussion of the crashing of N