Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 1, 2013

Why I am sending my daughter to P.S. 163 | Gary Rubinstein's Blog

Why I am sending my daughter to P.S. 163 | Gary Rubinstein's Blog:

Why I am sending my daughter to P.S. 163

Over the past year there have been several articles analyzing where schools people on both side of the ‘reform’ debate send their children to go to school.  For example, Obama’s kids go to Sidwell Friends.  Duncan sent his kids to the progressive Chicago Lab School.
This information is interesting since it enables us to get an insight about what these politicians really think the purpose of schools is.  Obama even once noted that at his daughter’s school, they don’t focus at all on standardized tests.  This is somewhat ironic considering the importance of standardized tests in his own Race To The Top.
Back in March, the main reformer of them all, 1992 TFA alum, Michelle Rhee, refused to admit that one of her two daughters attended a private school in Tennessee where her ex-husband, Kevin Huffman (also TFA 1992) is