Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Daily Kos: A meditation for the day, 4/20

Daily Kos: A meditation for the day, 4/20:


A meditation for the day, 4/20

Every day is an opportunity for commemorations, some pleasant, some not so much.
We can consider the births of the day:  on the positive side, John Paul Stevens was born in 1920, perhaps offering something more positive for those whose natal day is today than remembering 1889 Adolph Hitler came into the world in in Austria.
Perhaps we might remember those who died on this occasion:  for me one stands out above all, a man born in Germany but so beloved by Britain that he is buried in Westminister Abbey.  Because I am a musician I note that Beethoven considered him the greatest composer and take a moment to remember the passing of George Frideric Handel.
Or perhaps it is the event of today.  In light of this week, we may all too easily remember that on this date in 1999  Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris and killed 12 fellow students and a teacher and wounded some 21 more at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado.
But perhaps of especial importance in light of this week, including the joy and relief of the capture last night of the remaining suspect from Monday's bombing without further death, on this day in 1912 the Boston Red Sox beat the New York Highlanders (now the New York Yankees) 7-6 in the opening game at Fenway Park, perhaps America's most beloved baseball stadium with its Green Monster in left field.
When I was still serving as a classroom teacher, every Saturday was an occasion to stop, to reflect upon the week.   Although I am no longer momentarily stepping away from my students, as I do not know if I ever shall again step into a classroom with young people as my responsibility, I still try to take time for reflection each Saturday.
The convergence of events, the memories come together in a rush, so I try to give them time and allow myself to reflect further.