Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Schools Matter: To Dissect a Polemic: First, Examine the Polemicist

Schools Matter: To Dissect a Polemic: First, Examine the Polemicist:


To Dissect a Polemic: First, Examine the Polemicist

Dissecting The Atlantic's Reform Manifesto: Part IV
Go to Part IPart IIPart III

"Why Kids Should Grade Their Teachers," by Amanda Ripley

I had an instructive moment in my education well after I left the educational institutions at which I'd been vacationing ("all work and no play," right?): I was working at a bookstore, naturally, as I was "between" my eight or nine Clinton-approved careers (there are no right-left divides when it comes to power, people), where one of the managers was a great reader of review journals (as befits a bookstore manager as one who might find it expedient and an aid to "talking" books rather than reading them).  One day he pointed out a review of a book on Whitman.  He was excited by the review as it was by David Reynolds and he had like Reynolds' book Beneath the American Renaissance.  His wisdom was that we really should be aware of WHO was writing the review as