Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Daily Kos: Reflecting upon an experience with a student

Daily Kos: Reflecting upon an experience with a student:


Reflecting upon an experience with a student

I still remember her.
She was a shy girl, very pretty, but concerned because she wore glasses and braces.
She was quite bright, but easily panicked, particularly when taking tests.
I talked with her counselor and her parents, and then talked with her.
When she took a test and she saw other students sailing through the material she got very anxious and could not get what she knew in her head out onto her paper or to a scantron.  She would worry that she was going to run out of time, and that would add to her panic
I asked if she were willing to try something.  When I explained, she agreed to try.
For the next test I gave in 7th Grade American Studies at Williamsburg Middle School in Arlington Virginia, I had her come in on her lunch hour and take it with no one in the room. I would give her all the time she needed. She