Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Advanced Learning Programs Taskforce and Its Work

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Advanced Learning Programs Taskforce and Its Work:


Advanced Learning Programs Taskforce and Its Work

When you get asked (or you apply) to be on one of these committees, it's always important to remember that it's not about you.   Being on a committee means trying to be part of a team and find like-minded options and solutions to bear on the problem you are trying to solve (or at least help).   Many times it means biting your tongue and yes, even sometimes, going along to get along.

It has been my experience that a key to success for any committee is the leadership.  I believe that even with district committees, it is a good idea to have community/parents as chairs or co-chairs who are elected by the committee.  I've seen the two women who lead FACMAC, Caroline Webster and Elizabeth Wong, who seem to be wise, calm and most of all, people who listen.  (Unbelievably they both serve on the ALT as well.  Their next meeting is June 19, 10:00am - 1:00pm, Room 2776, JSCEE.)  I think their group is well-served by having co-chairs.

In advance I say, these are my recollections (some based on notes) and my opinions.  I have not vetted them with anyone (although I did try and write my fellow members as time has dragged by to ask what we might