Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Pro-Charter Campaign Started

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Pro-Charter Campaign Started:


Pro-Charter Campaign Started

A bit tepid, their website.  It's called - big surprise - "Yes on 1240".  (Interestingly, a web designer I know told me "No on 1240" domain name is taken - very clever.  Only I don't think anyone would want it because, as the designer pointed out, it would read in the URL "noon1240".)

There are several things to note about this website:

There is NO link to the actual initiative.  Why wouldn't you want people to be able to read what you want them to support?  That says it all.  

They say "There will also be an evaluation at the end of the five-year period to determine whether additional public charter schools should be allowed."  See, it's not a pilot project.  Also, if this thing passes, I'd bet money 

Fact-Checking on the Charter Initiative

I didn't say this in either of my threads on not signing the charter school petitions or about the pro campaign.

Any statements I make about what is and isn't in initiative 1240 are based on my reading of the initiative.  Two other parents read it thoroughly as well (I won't name them because I didn't ask yet) and we cross-referenced our reading.

Anything I say, I am happy to back up with a citation of page and section from the initiative.  Just ask.

I am confident in my reading of the initiative but if someone sees something I missed or perhaps have wrong, speak up.  But again, I worked with other people to make sure of my understanding of this incredibly dangerous