Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Saturday coffee. « Fred Klonsky

Saturday coffee. « Fred Klonsky:

'

Saturday coffee.

The joke each June as school ends is that every day is Saturday.
This is not quite true since it takes a week or two for my internal clock to reset. To stop waking up at 5AM. To stop making me sleepy at 9:30 PM.
Years ago I would build something the first week of summer break. Like a planter box.
I’m no handyman. But with a drill and a saw I can build things that have straight lines and corners. This is a perfect skill for building planter boxes for our backyard. And once I had built one, I was done for the summer. And if I was asked what I was doing with my time, I could honestly answer, “Oh. I’ve been doing a little construction around the house.”
This was not true when I first began teaching.
In those days financial need required me to teach summer school.
Back in the mid-80′s Chicago had one of those God-awful summers – just miserably hot and muggy. For days