Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 1, 2012

Daily Kos: The Graphic Truth: Disaster Capitalism and Education Reform

Daily Kos: The Graphic Truth: Disaster Capitalism and Education Reform:


The Graphic Truth: Disaster Capitalism and Education Reform

Reflecting on how one becomes the person she/he is offers a clarity that both brings into focus and distorts how our history shapes us. But for me, it is undeniable that who I am as a student, teacher, writer, and scholar was profoundly influenced by the coincidence of my becoming a comic book collector in the 1970s.
Directly, buying, reading, collecting, and drawing from comic books reinforced my fascination with science fiction and helped me come to recognize (after setting aside my ambitions as a comics artist) that I am a writer. The most obvious outcome of that realization is my own book on comics and graphic novels [1], but I also have