Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 1, 2012

VAM: What it Will and Won’t Tell You About My Teaching « InterACT

VAM: What it Will and Won’t Tell You About My Teaching « InterACT:


VAM: What it Will and Won’t Tell You About My Teaching


Image
Primum non nocere
First, do no harm
With 2.5 weeks left of a school year unlike any other in my two decade long career in education, perhaps it should come as no surprise that at precisely this moment, groups are moving forward in a strategic strike to insert Value Added Methodology into teacher evaluations in the second largest school district in the country LAUSD.
A group described as “an independent group called Our Schools, Our Voice*” on the Pass/Fail blog has decided it is imperative to inject the use of the VAM algorithm to judge me as a teacher for 25% of my evaluation.  It is