Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 3, 2012

School Tech Connect: What You Feel Or What You Think

School Tech Connect: What You Feel Or What You Think:

What You Feel Or What You Think

The more I read about the Common Core Standards--- in fact, the more I read the actual standards--- the more worried I get about what the near term future is going to hold for our nation. The so-called architect of the standards, David Coleman, reminds me of a guy selling knives at a state fair.

This is the infamous moment during his presentation in New York in which he explains the purpose of writing. Only in the ed reform movement could a guy like this A) get a job and B) become a leader.

Popout

Next week, I'm going to go into school and gather the young people I work with and tell them I don't give a shit about what they feel or think, and that I want them to just give me 100% unbiased factual information. Because those things are never imbued with values derived from what people feel or think.

Can you imagine this guy teaching a class of 5th graders? Of 10th graders? He'd be calling the dean every four